Living in St Kitts and Nevis

Advice for British people living in St Kitts and Nevis, including information on health, education, benefits, residence requirements and more.


This guide sets out essential information for British national residing in St Kitts & Nevis including advice on health, education, benefits, residence requirements and more. We are unable to provide any guidance on general lifestyle enquiries apart from the information and links listed below. See our ‘Our services’ section for information on what we can and cannot do for British nationals.


The Joseph N France General in St Kitts does not provide free medical care to non-nationals neither does the Alexandra Hospital in Nevis. They are able to cope with many types of treatment, but serious cases will mean emergency evacuation, usually to the USA. There are also a number of private hospitals and clinics. Make sure you have adequate health insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad and repatriation. Further information on health care in St Kitts can be found on our travel advice page.


St. Kitts generally has a good standard of education for all ages and the system is similar to that of the UK. For information on the school system in St. Kitts, please visit the St Kitts Ministry of Education website.

Entry and residence requirements

Entry requirements for British Nationals can be found on our travel advice page

British Nationals are not permitted to work in St. Kitts without a valid work permit for a specific job.

Information and advice regarding residency, work permits and student visa should be obtained from the St Kitts Immigration department or St. Kitts High Commission in London.


British Nationals maybe entitled to UK benefits while living in St Kitts.

The UK basic state pension is payable in St Kitts. Please contact the International Pension Centre for more information on getting your pension in Barbados.

You may be thinking about paying voluntary contributions to top up your pension entitlement. For further information on paying voluntary contributions in the UK, contact HM Revenues & Customs.

Driving licences and vehicles

Residents and visitors are required to hold a valid temporary St Kitts licence. Driving licences and permits are issued by Inland Revenue Department or hire car agency.


There are a number of banks in St Kitts and advice should be sought directly from them on how to open an account. You are likely to be asked to produce a reference from your UK bank. It is important to get your tax right when living abroad.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy by the relevant local authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. The FCO and the British Embassy will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. British nationals wishing to obtain any further information must contact the relevant local authority.

Published 7 February 2014