1. Overview

How you get child maintenance from an ex-partner who lives abroad normally depends on which country they live in. There are different arrangements for:

The parent the child doesn’t live with is called the ‘paying parent’. The parent or person the child lives with is called the ‘receiving parent’.

When a paying parent lives abroad, the Child Support Agency (CSA) and Child Maintenance Service can only help if they work for certain types of organisation.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.