Child maintenance if a parent lives abroad

Skip to contents of guide

If the other parent lives abroad

How you get a decision recognised or enforced depends on whether the other parent lives in a Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Orders (REMO) country. Check the list of REMO countries.

If the other parent does not live in a REMO country, get legal advice from a solicitor to find out if you can enforce the decision.

If the other parent does live in a REMO country, contact your nearest Maintenance Enforcement Business Centre (MEBC). They’ll send you an application form.

Complete the form and send it back to your MEBC with any supporting documents. Your documents will be translated if needed. You do not have to pay for this.

Tell the MEBC if you do not want the other parent to see certain information about you, such as your address.

Maintenance Enforcement Business Centres

Greater London

Maintenance Enforcement Business Centre London
Central Family Court
First Avenue House
42-49 High Holborn


Maintenance Enforcement Business Centre Bury St Edmunds
Triton House
St Andrews Street North
Bury St Edmunds
IP33 1TR


Maintenance Enforcement Business Centre Wales
Port Talbot Justice Centre
Harbourside Road
Port Talbot
South Wales
SA13 1SB

What happens next

The MEBC will send your completed form and any supporting documents to the REMO Unit.

The REMO Unit will send your documents to the body responsible for REMO in the relevant country within a month of receiving them. Your documents will then be sent on to the court in that country.

The process may change from 1 January 2021. The Maintenance Enforcement Business Centre or REMO Unit might tell you to fill in another form so your application can continue after that date. You’ll be told if you need to do this.

It can take several months for the court to decide if your maintenance decision should be enforced.