1. Overview

You may need to make arrangements for your children if you divorce, end your civil partnership or separate from your partner.

Agreeing arrangements

You can make decisions with your ex-partner or with the help of a mediator.

If you can’t agree, some arrangements can be decided by a court order, including:

  • where the children will live
  • when they’ll spend time with each parent
  • who’ll pay child maintenance

You must prove you’ve considered mediation before you go to court - this doesn’t apply in some cases, eg if there’s been domestic abuse.

Find a solicitor if you need legal advice.