Get help paying court and tribunal fees

You might be able to get money off your court or tribunal fees if you have little or no savings, and you either:

  • get certain benefits
  • have a low income

There are different rules in Northern Ireland and Scotland.

This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).


Whether you’re eligible depends on what savings you have, what benefits you’re on and your income.


You usually need to have less than £3,000 in savings and investments if you’re under 61.

You can have up to £16,000 in savings if your fee is between £1,000 and £10,000, or if you or your partner are 61 and over.


You need to be on a low income, or on one of the following benefits:

  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income Support
  • Universal Credit (and you earn less than £6,000 a year)
  • Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit)


If you’re not on any of those benefits, you usually need to earn £1,170 or less a month before tax if you’re single. Or £1,345 or less a month if you have a partner.

You can earn an extra £265 on top of that for each child you have.

For example, if you have a partner and 2 children you have to earn £1,875 or less to be eligible for full help with court fees.

You may still be able to get help if your income is higher. This depends on the size of the fee. Check if you’re eligible before you apply.

Apply online

If you need help with fees for the Court of Protection, you cannot use this service. Fill in a paper form instead.

Start now

Other ways to apply

You can apply by filling in a paper form instead.