You might have to pay a fee if you go to a civil or family court or tribunal in England or Wales.

There is a different system of court fees in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Fees are paid if you are, for example:

  • divorcing or ending a civil partnership
  • claiming money you’re owed
  • applying for probate
  • applying to an employment tribunal

Court and tribunal fees are different from legal costs, eg paying for a solicitor.

How much you pay

The fees you need to pay at a court or tribunal depend on your claim or case. You may have to pay multiple fees, eg a hearing fee and an application fee.

Find the fees for:

You can get help if you can’t afford to pay a court or tribunal fee because you’re on a low income or certain benefits.

How to pay your court or tribunal fee

You can pay your fee:

  • in person at a court or tribunal by cheque, cash, debit or credit card
  • by post with a cheque made out to ‘HM Courts and Tribunals Service’

You can only pay court fees online for claims that are made online, eg a money claim or possession claim.