3. File for divorce

Read the ‘D8 notes’ guidance then fill in a divorce petition form to start a divorce.

You must include your:

  • full name and address
  • husband or wife’s full name and address
  • marriage certificate - the original certificate or a copy from a register office

You can include the names and dates of birth of any children (no matter how old they are), but you don’t have to.

If you name the person your husband or wife committed adultery with, they’ll get copies of the paperwork.

Pay the fee

You must pay a £550 fee to start a divorce.

Pay the divorce centre when you send your forms - you can pay:

  • by phone with a debit or credit card
  • in person with cash
  • by post with a cheque made out to ‘HM Courts and Tribunals Service’

You may be able to get help with fees if you’re on benefits or a low income.

Send the forms

Send 3 copies of the divorce petition forms to your nearest divorce centre.

You need to send 4 copies if you named someone your husband or wife committed adultery with.

Keep your own copy of the forms.