You need to fill in a divorce petition form to start a divorce.
You must include your:
- full name and address
- husband or wife’s full name and address
- marriage certificate (the original certificate or a copy from a register office)
Include the names and dates of birth of any children (no matter how old they are).
If you name the person your husband or wife was unfaithful with, they will get copies of the paperwork.
Make arrangements for children
You need to fill in another form if you have:
- children under 16
- children under 18 at school or college, or on a training course
You need to include details of arrangements for:
- contact with your children
Try to agree arrangements for children with your husband or wife before you file the petition.
Pay the court fee
You will have to pay a £410 court fee to start a divorce.
You may be able to get help with court fees if you’re on benefits or a low income.
Send the forms
Once you have filled in the forms:
- send 2 copies of the divorce petition form to the court (3 if you named someone your husband or wife had an affair with)
- if you have children, send 2 copies of the statement of arrangements for children
- keep your own copies
Where to send the forms
Send the forms to your nearest divorce court.