Form D8: Apply for a divorce, dissolution, (judicial) separation or separation order

Ask the court to end your marriage or civil partnership, or make a (judicial) separation decree or order. (Form D8)


Apply for a divorce online

Cais am ysgariad, diddymiad neu ymwahaniad (cyfreithiol)

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology.

Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


To be eligible for a divorce or to end a civil partnership, you need to have been married or in the civil partnership for 12 months or more. This doesn’t apply to (judicial) separation applications.

You can apply for a divorce online.
You’ll fill in the application online. The regional divorce centre will email you the rest of the forms to complete.

For separations, different terms are used depending on whether you’re in a marriage or a civil partnership:

  • decree of (judicial) separation (for marriages)
  • separation order (for civil partnerships)

Find out more about separating, divorcing or ending a civil partnership.

Check court and tribunal fees and find out if you can get help with fees.

Find more court and tribunal forms by category.

Find out how HM Courts and Tribunals Service uses personal information you give when you fill in a form.

Published 1 August 2017
Last updated 31 December 2020 + show all updates
  1. Revised forms D8 uploaded.

  2. Added accessible form D8.

  3. Added revised D8 and large print versions that reference the online process.

  4. Add in link to online service.

  5. First published.