Form EX160: Apply for help with court and tribunal fees

Use form EX160 to apply for help with fees from a court or tribunal. You may not have to pay a fee, or you may get some money off. Includes EX160A and EX160C.



Eligibility and further information

To be eligible for help with fees you will usually have less than £3,000 in savings and investments and be receiving certain benefits or be on a low income (including receiving other benefits). You may also be eligible for help if you or your partner:

  • are over 61, or are paying a fee of more than £1,000, and you have more than £3,000 in savings and investments
  • support children financially and earn more than £1,085 a month (before tax and National Insurance is taken off)

Detailed information on how to apply, and eligibility criteria, can be found in the EX160a help with fees. The booklet is also available in large print, Easy Read and Welsh versions. This calculator helps you work out what you may need to pay towards your fee.

Apply for help with fees online.

What you’ll need:

  • National Insurance number or a Home Office reference number
  • court or tribunal form number
  • case, claim, appeal or ‘notice to pay’ number (if you have one)
  • most recent bank statement for all current accounts
  • most recent payslip (if you have one)
  • most recent tax return (if you’re self employed)
  • your partner’s financial details – unless your court or tribunal case is against them

More information

Find more court and tribunal forms by category.

Find out how HM Courts and Tribunals Service uses personal information you give when you fill in a form.

Published 22 March 2016
Last updated 8 December 2020 + show all updates
  1. Amendments to the further information text.

  2. Revised EX160 form and easy read version of the guide.

  3. Added fee remissions contribution calculator.

  4. Forms updated

  5. Revised EX160A leaflet

  6. First published.