Taking a vehicle out of the UK

For 12 months or more

If you’re taking a UK-registered vehicle out of the country for 12 months or more (also known as permanent export) you need to:

  1. Fill in the V5C/4 ‘notification of permanent export’ section of your V5C registration certificate (log book).

  2. Send it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD. Include a letter if you’ve moved abroad and want your vehicle tax refund sent to your new address.

  3. Keep the rest of your V5C registration certificate - you might need this to register your vehicle abroad.

You’ll usually get a refund on your vehicle tax in 4 to 6 weeks.

You must also update the address on your driving licence if you’re moving home.

If you do not have a V5C registration certificate

You’ll need to get one using form V62. The address to send it to is on the form.

Moving your vehicle between Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Fill in the change of address section in your log book and send it to DVLA.

SA99 1BA

Personalised registrations

You’ll need to transfer or retain your personalised registration before exporting your vehicle. Otherwise you’ll lose your right to the registration number.