Use form V317 to transfer a vehicle registration number from one vehicle to another - the form includes guidance notes and information on where to send it.
You can transfer a vehicle registration:
- from your vehicle to another one in your name
- to a vehicle you’re buying
- to someone else’s vehicle
If the number is being transferred to someone else’s vehicle, then both registered keepers need to complete the application.
Along with the form you’ll need to include:
- the registration certificate or new keeper supplement with a completed form V62 (application for a vehicle registration certificate V5C)
- an MOT certificate
- the £80 transfer fee
If either vehicle needs taxing, include:
- a completed form V10 (application for vehicle tax)
- correct vehicle tax payment