Keep a vehicle registration number and put it on another vehicle
V317 application form to keep a vehicle registration number and put it on another vehicle.
Ref: Application to keep a vehicle registration number and put it on another vehicle PDF, 6.59MB, 4 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
Form and guidance on how to fill in form V317, application to keep a vehicle registration number and put it on another vehicle (transfer). Or keep a registration number and put it on a certificate.
You can take a registration number off a vehicle online, and put a registration number on a vehicle online.
Use form V317 to transfer a vehicle registration number from one vehicle to another - the form includes guidance notes and information on where to send it.
You can transfer a vehicle registration:
- from your vehicle to another one in your name
- to a vehicle you’re buying
- to someone else’s vehicle
If the number is being transferred to someone else’s vehicle, then both registered keepers need to complete the application.
Along with the form you’ll need to include:
- the registration certificate or new keeper supplement with a completed form V62 (application for a vehicle registration certificate V5C)
- the £80 transfer fee
If either vehicle needs taxing, include:
- a completed form V10 (application for vehicle tax)
- correct vehicle tax payment
- an MOT certificate
Published: 1 February 2012
Updated: 15 March 2017
- Updated version
- Added translation
- Links added to our new online services.
- Update to the V317W.
- Updates to section B and C and new section E ( Conditions on taxing a vehicle) added in guidance notes.
- Amended document to include abolition of the tax disc changes.
- Update due to centralisation of Northern Ireland vehicle services
- Updates to the form due to LO office closures.
- Reverted back to previous PDF version as LO changes are not due to go live until end of June.
- Updates are due to LO closures and the personalised registration work centralised at Swansea.
- First published.