You can apply to keep the registration number of a vehicle to:
- transfer it to another vehicle
- hold on to it until you want to use it again in the future
The registration number will be retained in the name of the registered keeper.
It costs £80 for 10 years. You can renew for another 10 years.
This service is available Monday to Saturday, 8am to 6pm.
- the 11 digit document reference number from the latest V5C vehicle registration certificate (logbook)
- a valid credit or debit card
Your vehicle must be:
- registered with DVLA
- taxed or have a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) in place within the last 5 years
- available for inspection
If your application is approved you’ll receive a new V5C for your vehicle.
Send the following documents to the DVLA:
- a V317 ‘application to transfer or retain a vehicle registration number’ form
- the registration certificate (V5C) for the vehicle, or the new keeper’s supplement with a V62 ‘application for a vehicle registration certificate V5C’ form
- the £80 transfer fee
You can tax your vehicle at the same time. Include the following with your application: