Make a statutory off road notification (SORN) (form V890)

Application form (V890) to register your vehicle as being off the road, also called a SORN. There are currently delays with paper applications, so please use our online service if you can.



This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology.

Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


You can make a SORN online or by phoning 0300 123 4321 if you’re registered as the vehicle’s keeper.

If you’re not yet registered as the vehicle’s keeper, you must make a SORN by post using a V890 form. Please fill in the appropriate part of the V5C and send it with the V890.

If you don’t have the V5C, fill in form V62 (there’s a fee) and send it with the V890.

Published 9 September 2012
Last updated 27 November 2020 + show all updates
  1. Update to Welsh PDF

  2. Added the latest version of V890 form

  3. Paper application info added in summary.

  4. PDF update

  5. English PDF updated.

  6. Welsh PDF updated

  7. PDF updated

  8. Added translation

  9. PDFs updated.

  10. New version of the Welsh V890.

  11. Latest version uploaded

  12. New version of both V890 &V890W published

  13. Update due to centralisation of Northern Ireland vehicle services

  14. New version of the V890W added.

  15. New version of the V890 added.

  16. First published.