Selling a vehicle

You must provide the right information to buyers and DVLA when you sell a vehicle.

Before you sell the vehicle

Your vehicle log book (V5C) must be up to date. You may not get a refund for any full months left on your vehicle tax if your details are incorrect.

Apply to update your log book if you’ve:

If your vehicle has a private (personalised) registration number that you want to keep, you must apply to remove the registration number before you sell it.

What to share from your log book

Potential buyers can check your log book to make sure the details match your vehicle.

Don’t share:

  • your log book document reference number
  • copies or photos of the log book, or allow them to be produced

Someone could use this information to get a fraudulent copy of your log book, putting your vehicle at risk of being stolen or cloned.

Once you’ve sold the vehicle

Give the green ‘new keeper’s details’ slip (V5C/2) from the log book to the buyer.

You must tell DVLA you’ve sold the vehicle and give them the full name and address of the buyer. If you don’t do this, any vehicle tax refund you’re owed might be affected.