Make the changes on your V5C registration certificate and return it to DVLA.

  1. Write your new name or new address in section 6 of your V5C (you can’t give joint names or Post Office box addresses).

  2. Sign and date the declaration in section 8.

  3. Send the whole V5C to DVLA.

SA99 1BA

You’ll get a new V5C free of charge, usually within 4 weeks. Allow at least 6 weeks before contacting DVLA.

If your vehicle needs taxing in the next 4 weeks

Take your V5C to the Post Office - you can tax your vehicle and change your details at the same time.

You’ll also need to take your MOT certificate if you have it. This can’t be a photocopy.