Register your trailer to take it abroad

You must register commercial trailers over 750kg and all trailers over 3,500kg before you can drive through some countries in Europe.

You can use this service to:

  • check if you need to register a trailer to take it abroad
  • create an account to register your trailer or trailers
  • manage your registered trailer details - for example if you sell or scrap a trailer, or change your name or address

If you have an abnormal load trailer, you must also get a keeper’s certificate. Keep it in your vehicle to show at border crossings.

This service is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).


It costs:

  • £26 to register a trailer for the first time
  • £21 to issue a new registration certificate for a new registered keeper
  • £10 to replace a lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed UK trailer registration certificate

Register online

You need:

  • the name of the trailer manufacturer
  • the trailer type - for example, box trailer or container trailer
  • the trailer’s vehicle identification number (VIN) (usually 17 characters) or chassis number - this is usually on a metal plate fitted to the trailer or stamped into the chassis
  • the gross and unladen weight of the trailer
  • an email address
  • a debit or credit card

You also need a Government Gateway user ID and password. If you do not have one, you can create one when you use this service.

Start now

  1. Step 1 Apply for operator licences and permits

    1. Check if you need a vehicle operator licence
    2. Apply for a vehicle operator licence

    You'll need other licences and permits, depending on the countries you're driving to or through.

    1. Check which licences and permits you need
  2. Step 2 Register and get approval for your vehicle

    You may need to register your trailer to drive through or to the EU if it weighs over 750kg.

    1. You are currently viewing: Register your trailer to take it abroad

    You’ll need to get specialist vehicle approvals to transport any of the following:

  3. Step 3 Make sure your driver is eligible to drive abroad

    1. Check your driver has the documents they need to drive abroad

    The driver must carry these documents with them.

  4. Step 4 Check the rules for the goods you're carrying

    1. Find out what you need to do if you're exporting your own goods

    There are rules for transporting certain goods. Your driver may need to follow set routes or stop at specific check points. Check the rules for:

    1. Find out what you need to apply for if you’re moving goods temporarily out of the UK

    If you're transporting goods outside the EU they must have been cleared by customs (given ‘permission to progress’). The exporter can tell you if this has happened.

  5. Step 5 Make sure your driver has the right export documents

    Your driver will need copies of:

    • any export licences
    • the road consignment note (‘CMR note’)
    • the Movement Reference Number (MRN) from the export declaration - if you're moving goods out of the EU
    • the MRN and the Local Reference Number (LRN) - if you're moving goods under the Common Transit convention (CTC)
    • the ATA Carnet document - if you're moving goods out of the EU temporarily
    • the TiR Carnet document - if you’re moving goods in a sealed load compartment with a seal number

    The exporter should be able to give all of these to you.

    You'll also need to have a customs seal approval certificate for the vehicle if you’re moving goods in a sealed load compartment. You'll get this when your vehicle passes the TiR test.

    You may need to use the Goods Vehicle Movement Service (GVMS) to move goods through some ports.

    1. Check how to move goods through ports that use the GVMS
  6. Step 6 Find out what vehicle documents your driver needs to carry

  7. Step 7 Check you are ready for the Port of Dover, Eurotunnel or Holyhead

    You may need to attend an inland border facility if you're leaving from the Port of Dover, Eurotunnel or Holyhead.

    1. Check whether you need to attend an inland border facility
  8. Step 8 Check local road rules

    1. Check the road rules for European countries on the AA website
    2. Check travel advice for countries outside Europe

    When you have your documents, insurance and any extra equipment you need, you can transport goods abroad.