Get an abnormal load trailer keeper's certificate to use it abroad

Get a 'certificate of keeper' for your abnormal load trailer if you want to use it outside the UK, or replace a lost certificate.


Apply for an abnormal load trailer keeper's certificate

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology.

Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


Use this form to either:

  • apply for a keeper’s certificate for an abnormal load trailer if you’re going to take it outside the UK
  • apply for a replacement if the original has been lost, stolen or destroyed

You need to keep the certificate in your vehicle when you go abroad. You have to show it at border crossings.

You do not need a certificate if you only use the trailer in the UK.

Send the form online

  1. Download and fill in the application form.

  2. Save the application form on your computer.

  3. Send the application form to the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) using the service to apply for a certificate for a trailer. You also need to send supporting documents.

  4. Pay the application fee by credit or debit card (DVSA will tell you how to do this after you’ve applied), or by cheque or using a pre-funded account.

The supporting documents you need to send are copies of:

  • the trailer’s registration documents
  • the manufacturer’s build specifications
  • the ministry plating certificate
  • any other relevant information

Send the form by post

You can also send the application and supporting documents by post.

Technical and Support Services
The Ellipse
Padley Road

Your application can be delayed if you do not fill in the application form correctly.

Published 22 March 2019
Last updated 15 August 2019 + show all updates
  1. Updated with the latest version of the application form which now asks for the DVLA trailer registration number.

  2. First published.