Change the address on your driving licence with DVLA for free. Apply using your Government Gateway ID. If you don’t have one, or need to re-register, you’ll get an ID as part of your application.
You can still drive while waiting for your new licence.
You can be fined up to £1,000 if you don’t tell DVLA when your address changes.
You also need to tell DVLA you’ve changed address for your vehicle registration and vehicle tax Direct Debit (if you use one).
Start now on driving licensing online
You need to:
- have your driving licence
- be a resident of Great Britain - there’s a different process in Northern Ireland
- provide addresses of where you’ve lived for the last 3 years
- have a valid UK passport or other form of identity
- have your National Insurance number if known
- not be disqualified from driving
If you need to change your name at the same time, you’ll have to apply by post.
If you’re moving abroad, you can’t register your new address on your British driving licence. Contact the driving licence authority in your new country of residence.
What happens next
You’ll get confirmation email from DVLA after you’ve applied.
Your updated licence should arrive within one week if you apply online. Contact DVLA if it hasn’t arrived after 3 weeks.
You can also change the address on your licence by post. The process is different depending on whether you have a photocard or paper driving licence.
Photocard driving licence
Complete the ‘changes’ section on letter D741 that came with your licence.
Then send both your photocard driving licence and the letter to DVLA.
If you don’t have your D741, order a licence application form to update your address. Order form D1 for cars or motorcycles or D2 for lorries and buses.
Paper driving licence
Send the following to DVLA:
- a completed form D1 ‘Application for a driving licence’ for car and motorbike licences, or a completed form D2 ‘Application for a lorry/bus licence’ for lorry and bus licences
- your driving licence
- original documents confirming your identity
- a passport photograph
What happens next
Your updated licence should arrive within 3 weeks. Contact DVLA if it hasn’t arrived after then.