Change the photo on your full or provisional driving licence online with DVLA if you have a valid UK passport issued in the last 5 years. You’ll get a new driving licence with an updated photo. Apply using your Government Gateway ID. If you don’t have one or need to re-register, you’ll get an ID as part of your application.
Start now on driving licensing online
You can’t apply online if your name or title has changed or if you have a 5-year bus or lorry licence.
To apply online, you’ll need to:
- have a valid UK passport issued within the last 5 years
- be a resident of Great Britain
- pay £20 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card
- provide addresses of where you’ve lived over the last 3 years
- have your driving licence (if you don’t have your driving licence you must say why as part of your application)
- have your National Insurance number
- not be disqualified from driving
DVLA will get the photo and signature for your new driving licence from your passport. If this isn’t possible, or you don’t want to use the photo on your passport, you won’t be able to change the photo online.
Your driving licence should arrive within 1 week if you apply online.
If you have a photocard driving licence, you must renew it every 10 years - you’ll receive a reminder before your current licence ends.
If you apply online you’ll be agreeing that DVLA can check your personal data, including your National Insurance number.
DVLA will confirm your details with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). If DVLA can’t fully verify your identity, you’ll be told what to do at the end of the application.
- Valid UK passport required
- 3 years of address details required
- Debit or credit card required
Applying by post
Fill in form D1 ‘Application for a driving licence’, available from the DVLA form ordering service and selected Post Offices, and include:
- a new passport type photo taken within the last month (don’t sign the back of the photo)
- the photocard and paper counterpart of your current licence (if you’ve lost either you’ll have to tick the relevant box on the D1 form)
- a cheque or postal order for £20, payable to DVLA (no fee is needed if you have a medical short period licence or you’re aged 70 or over)
Send your application and fee (if needed) to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1DH.
If you’ve changed your name, you’ll also need to include identity documents.
Your driving licence should arrive within 3 weeks. It might take longer if your medical or personal details need to be checked.