You need to renew your full or provisional driving licence if you want to update your photo. You’ll get a new licence.

This service is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

You can apply online with the DVLA if you have a:

  • valid UK passport and want to use your passport photo
  • Government Gateway ID - if you have not got one, you’ll get one as part of your application

Your driving licence should arrive within one week if you apply online.

Start now on driving licensing online

You cannot apply online if your name or title has changed or if you have a 5-year bus or lorry licence.

To renew online, you’ll need to:

  • have a valid UK passport
  • be a resident of Great Britain - there’s a different process in Northern Ireland
  • pay £14 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron or Delta debit or credit card (there’s no fee if you’re over 70 or have a medical short period licence)
  • provide addresses of where you’ve lived over the last 3 years
  • have your driving licence (if you do not have your driving licence you must say why as part of your application)
  • have your National Insurance number (if you know it)
  • not be disqualified from driving

DVLA will get the photo and signature for your new driving licence from your passport. If this is not possible you will not be able to change your photo online.

DVLA will send you a confirmation email once you’ve applied. You might be asked to take part in research by email, but you can opt out.

If you have a photocard driving licence, you must renew it every 10 years - you’ll receive a reminder before your current licence ends.

Applying by post

Fill in form D1 ‘Application for a driving licence’, available from the DVLA form ordering service and selected Post Offices, and include:

  • a new passport type photo taken within the last month (do not sign the back of the photo)
  • the photocard and paper counterpart of your current licence (if you’ve lost either, tick the relevant box on the D1 form)
  • a cheque or postal order for £17, payable to DVLA (there’s no fee if you’re over 70 or have a medical short period licence)

Send your application and fee (if needed) to DVLA.

SA99 1DH

If you’ve changed your name, you’ll also need to include identity documents.

Your driving licence should arrive within 3 weeks. It might take longer if your medical or personal details need to be checked.