Identity documents needed for a driving licence application

You must send in an identity document with your application unless you have a valid UK passport (where the photograph and signature are on the same page).

You do not need to send your passport in with your application, use the 9-digit passport number instead.

If you do not have a UK passport

You must send one of the following identity documents with your application:

You’ll have digital confirmation of your immigration status instead of a visa vignette or BRP if you used the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ or ‘EU Exit: ID Document Check’ app when applying:

  • for a visa
  • to the EU Settlement Scheme

You need to get a ‘share code’ to use in your application.

How to send your document

You must send the original document with your driving licence application.

You cannot use:

  • photocopies or laminated certificates
  • certified copies including those certified by the Post Office document certification service

It may take longer than usual for you to get your passport and licence back because of coronavirus (COVID-19). Consider delaying your driving licence application if you need your passport.

If you’re a pensioner

If you’ve reached State Pension age, you can send an original of one of the following in your name:

  • recent (within 3 months) bank or building society statement showing your pension payment and National Insurance number
  • BR2102, BR2103 or BR5899 letter confirming your eligibility for the State Pension

UK birth, adoption and naturalisation certificates

You can use a UK birth, adoption or naturalisation certificate, but you must send it with one of the following:

  • National Insurance card or a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) showing your National Insurance number
  • photocopy of the front page of a benefits book or an original benefits claim letter
  • P45, P60 or pay slip
  • marriage certificate or divorce papers (decree nisi or absolute)
  • a gender recognition certificate
  • college or university union card, education certificate or PASS proof of age card (issued after June 2014)

If your name or gender has changed

You must provide additional evidence if your name or gender has changed since your identity document or driving licence was issued.

If you’ve changed your name, you need to provide at least one of the following:

  • your marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • your decree nisi or decree absolute, along with your birth or adoption certificate, or UK certificate of naturalisation
  • a deed poll
  • a statutory declaration

If you’ve changed your gender identity, you need to provide at least one of the following:

You must also provide the identity document or driving licence that shows your previous name or gender identity.

Get a statutory declaration

You can get an official statement confirming that you’ve changed name or gender (called ‘a statutory declaration’) from:

  • a solicitor
  • a magistrate
  • a commissioner of oaths

Who can sign your form and photo

The person signing the form and photo must:

  • hold a valid GB photocard driving licence
  • be resident in the UK
  • know you personally
  • not be a relative
  • not be living at the same address as you

Suitable people include a current or retired:

  • local business person or shopkeeper
  • librarian
  • professionally qualified person, for example a lawyer, teacher or engineer
  • police officer
  • bank or building society staff member
  • civil servant
  • minister of religion
  • magistrate
  • local councillor
  • Member of Parliament, Assembly Member, or Member of the Scottish Parliament

If they’re retired, you’ll need to write their former job on the form, for example ‘retired teacher’.

DVLA will contact the person who signs your application.

You do not need someone to sign your photo if you’ve agreed to have DVLA check your identity by:

  • contacting HM Passport Office
  • providing a current passport, travel document or BRP
  • using a share code to show digital confirmation of your immigration status

You do not need someone to sign your photo if you’re renewing your licence with a new photo.

Get your documents back

You’ll get your driving licence and identity documents separately.

It may take longer than usual to get your licence and documents back because of coronavirus.

Identity documents are returned by second class post. Include a stamped, self-addressed special delivery or Signed For envelope with your application if you want to track when your documents are posted.

Contact DVLA if you have not received your licence or documents back.