If you’ve got a UK biometric passport you can use its number for your driving licence application; otherwise you’ll need to send in an original identity document.
UK biometric passports
If you have a biometric passport (where the photograph and signature are on the same page) you can just use the 9-digit passport number for your driving licence application.
You won’t need to send your passport in with your application.
Other types of identification
If you don’t have a biometric passport other types of identity documents are also accepted.
You’ll need to send the original document with your driving licence application. Photocopies or laminated certificates are not accepted.
You can send:
- a full valid current passport
- a biometric residence permit (formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals)
- a UK certificate of naturalisation
Don’t send in your passport if you need it within the next month - consider delaying your driving licence application until after you have travelled.
If you’re a pensioner
If you’ve reached State Pension age, you can also send an original of 1 of the following in your name:
- recent (within 3 months) bank or building society statement showing your pension payment and National Insurance number
- BR2102, BR2103 or BR5899 letter confirming your eligibility for the State Pension
UK birth and adoption certificates
UK birth and adoption certificates can also be used, but need to be sent with 1 of the following:
- National Insurance card or a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions showing your National Insurance number
- photocopy of the front page of a benefits book or an original benefits claim letter
- P45, P60 or pay slip
- marriage certificate or divorce papers (decree nisi or absolute)
- college or university union card or school record
If your name has changed
You’ll need to provide evidence if your name has changed since your identity document was issued.
The details you give must show a clear link between the name on your identity document and your current name.
Getting your documents back
You’ll get your driving licence and identity documents separately.
If you don’t get your identity documents back within 3 weeks of receiving your driving licence, contact DVLA Customer Enquiries.
DVLA Customer Enquiries
Telephone: 0300 790 6801
Textphone: 0300 123 1278
Fax: 0300 123 0784
Fax from outside the UK: +44 (0)1792 786 369
Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm
Saturday, 8am to 2pm
Find out about call charges
Include a stamped self-addressed special delivery envelope if you want your identity documents returned by special delivery.