Get your first provisional driving licence for a moped, motorbike or car from DVLA online.
This service is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).
Apply using your Government Gateway ID. If you don’t have one or need to re-register, you’ll get an ID as part of your application.
If you’ve already got your provisional driving licence you don’t need to apply again to drive a car.
Start now on driving licensing online
To get your first provisional driving licence online for a moped, motorbike or car you must:
- be at least 15 years and 9 months old
- be able to read a number plate from 20 metres away
- provide an identity document unless you have a valid UK biometric passport
- provide addresses where you’ve lived over the last 3 years
- pay £34 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card
- have your National Insurance number if known
Your licence should arrive within one week if you apply online.
When you can apply
You can apply for a provisional driving licence when you’re 15 years and 9 months old.
When you have your provisional driving licence you can:
- ride a moped or light quad bike when you’re 16
- drive a car when you’re 17
Your licence will say when you can start driving different vehicles. Read more about the age you can start driving different vehicles.
You can drive a car when you are 16 if you get, or have applied for, the enhanced rate of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP).
You’ll get a confirmation email from DVLA after you’ve applied. You might be asked to take part in research by email, but you can opt out.
You can apply by post by completing a D1 application form, which you can get from:
- the DVLA form ordering service
- a Post Office
Postal applications take up to 3 weeks.
You must include:
- original documents confirming your identity
- a colour passport-style photograph
- the fee of £43 by cheque or postal order payable to DVLA (don’t send cash)
You must send original documents - you can’t use the Post Office document certification service.
Send your completed application and payment to:
- DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AD - if all your documents are from the UK
- DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AF - if any of your documents are from outside the UK