Get your first provisional driving licence for a car, motorbike, moped or other vehicle from DVLA online. To apply you must:
- be at least 15 years and 9 months old
- be able to read a number plate from 20 metres away
- have legally lived in the UK for at least 185 days in total in the past 12 months
If you already have a provisional licence you can:
- renew your provisional licence
- replace your provisional licence if it’s lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed
- reapply for your provisional licence if you’ve been disqualified
- change the address on your provisional licence
If you applied for a provisional licence before 1 March 1973 you’ll need to use this service to get a new licence.
This service is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).
Before you start
It costs £34 to apply online. You can pay by MasterCard, Visa, Electron or Delta debit or credit card.
- an identity document, such as your passport
- addresses where you’ve lived for up to the last 3 years
You might be asked for additional information, such as your National Insurance number if you know it.
You’ll get a confirmation email from DVLA after you’ve applied.
Your licence should arrive within one week if you apply online. It may take longer if DVLA need to make additional checks.
When you can drive with a provisional licence
There are different rules depending on your age and the type of vehicle. Check what vehicles you can drive and when before you start to learn.