Get your first provisional driving licence for a car, moped or motorcycle from DVLA online. Apply using your Government Gateway ID. If you don’t have one or need to re-register, you’ll get an ID as part of your application.
Start now on driving licensing online
To get your first provisional driving licence online for a car, motorcycle or moped you must:
- be a resident of Great Britain - there’s a different service in Northern Ireland
- meet the minimum age requirement
- meet the minimum eyesight requirement
- not be prevented from driving for any reason
- pay £50 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card
- have a valid UK passport or other form of identity
- have your National Insurance number if known
- provide addresses where you’ve lived for the last 3 years
Your licence should arrive within 1 week if you apply online.
When you can apply
You can apply for a provisional driving licence when you’re 15 years and 9 months old.
You can start driving when you’re:
- 17 if you want to drive a car
- 16 if you want to ride a moped or light quad bike
Your licence will say when you can start driving different vehicles.
You can drive a car when you are 16 if you get, or have applied for, the enhanced rate of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP).
If you apply online you’ll be agreeing that DVLA can check your personal data, including your National Insurance number.
DVLA will confirm your details with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). If DVLA can’t fully verify your identity, you’ll be told what to do at the end of the application.
- Proof of identification required
- 3 years of address details required
- Debit or credit card required
You can apply by post by completing a D1 application form, which you can get from the DVLA form ordering service or from a Post Office.
You’ll also need to include:
original documentation confirming your identity
a colour passport-style photograph
the fee of £50 by cheque or postal order payable to DVLA (do not send cash)
Send your completed application and payment to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AD.
If you’re including non-UK identity documents send your application and payment to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AF.
Postal applications take up to 3 weeks.