Get your first provisional driving licence for a car, motorbike, moped or other vehicle from DVLA online. To apply you must:
- be at least 15 years and 9 months old
- be able to read a number plate from 20 metres away
- have legally lived in the UK for at least 185 days in total in the past 12 months
This service is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).
If you already have a provisional licence, you do not need to apply again to drive a car, motorbike or moped.
Before you start
It costs £34 to apply online. You can pay by MasterCard, Visa, Electron or Delta debit or credit card.
- an identity document, such as your passport
- addresses where you’ve lived for up to the last 3 years
You might be asked for additional information, such as your National Insurance number if you know it.
You’ll get a confirmation email from DVLA after you’ve applied.
Your licence should arrive within one week if you apply online. It may take longer if DVLA need to make additional checks.
When you can drive with a provisional licence
There are different rules depending on your age and the type of vehicle. Check what vehicles you can drive and when before you start to learn.