Get your first provisional driving licence for a car, moped or motorcycle from DVLA online. Apply using your Government Gateway ID. If you don’t have one or need to re-register, you’ll get an ID as part of your application.
Start now on driving licensing online
To get your first provisional driving licence online for a car, motorcycle or moped you must:
- be a resident of Great Britain - there’s a different service in Northern Ireland
- meet the minimum age requirement
- meet the minimum eyesight requirement
- not be prevented from driving for any reason
- pay £34 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card
- have a valid UK passport or other form of identity
- have your National Insurance number if known
- provide addresses where you’ve lived over the last 3 years
Your licence should arrive within one week if you apply online.
When you can apply
You can apply for a provisional driving licence when you’re 15 years and 9 months old.
You can start driving when you’re:
- 17 if you want to drive a car
- 16 if you want to ride a moped or light quad bike
Your licence will say when you can start driving different vehicles.
You can drive a car when you are 16 if you get, or have applied for, the enhanced rate of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP).
If you apply online you’ll be agreeing that DVLA can check your personal data, including your National Insurance number.
DVLA will confirm your details with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).
DVLA will send you a confirmation email once you’ve applied. You might be asked to take part in research by email, but you can opt out.
You can apply by post by completing a D1 application form, which you can get from the DVLA form ordering service or from a Post Office.
Postal applications take up to 3 weeks.
You must include:
- original documents confirming your identity
- a colour passport-style photograph
- the fee of £43 by cheque or postal order payable to DVLA (don’t send cash)
You must send original documents - you can’t use the Post Office document certification service.
Send your completed application and payment to:
- DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AD if all your documents are from the UK
- DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AF if any of your documents are from outside the UK