You need to apply for a new licence before you can start driving again if your licence has been taken away because you’ve been disqualified.

Check your driving record online to see when your disqualification finishes.

How you reapply depends on whether you’re in the high risk offender category.

Download the leaflet if you want more information on applying after disqualification for a drink driving offence.

High risk offenders

You’re a high risk offender if you:

  • were convicted of 2 drink driving offences within 10 years
  • were driving with an alcohol reading of at least 87.5 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath, 200 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood, or 
267.5 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of urine
  • refused to give the police a sample of breath, blood or urine to test for alcohol
  • refused to allow a sample of your blood to be tested for alcohol (eg if it was taken when you were unconscious)

Medical examination with a DVLA doctor

DVLA will send you an application form 90 days before your disqualification ends. During that time you must have a medical examination with one of DVLA’s appointed doctors to prove you’re fit to drive. The examination will include:

  • a questionnaire about your medical history and use of alcohol
  • a physical examination
  • blood tests

You’ll have to pay for your medical examination.

Non-high risk offenders

DVLA will send you a D27 form 56 days before your disqualification period ends. You’ll need to fill in the form and return it to DVLA. You may need to send in a new passport-style photo with your application.

If you don’t get your renewal form in the post, you must fill in a D1 form instead. You can order one from DVLA’s online form ordering service.

Bus, coach or lorry licence

Complete a D2 form instead to apply for a bus, coach or lorry licence. You can order a D2 form from DVLA.

Northern Ireland

Contact the Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA) if you’re in Northern Ireland.

Non-GB licence holders

DVLA will return your licence when your disqualification period ends.