Disqualification for drink-driving

You can be disqualified if you’re found guilty of drink-driving. Depending on your offence, you can also be fined or sent to prison.

You’ll need to apply for a new licence after your disqualification ends.

If you’re disqualified from driving for 12 months or more, you might be able to reduce your ban by taking a drink-drive rehabilitation course.

High risk offenders

If you’re a ‘high risk offender’, you will not get your new licence until you can prove you’re fit to drive again. You’ll need to pass a medical examination with one of DVLA’s appointed doctors.

You’re a high risk offender if you:

  • were convicted of 2 drink driving offences within 10 years
  • were driving with an alcohol reading of at least 87.5 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres (ml) of breath, 200 milligrammes (mg) of alcohol per 100 ml of blood, or 267.5 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of urine
  • refused to give the police a sample of breath, blood or urine to test for alcohol
  • refused to allow a sample of your blood to be tested for alcohol (for example if it was taken when you were unconscious)

You’ll get a D27PH renewal form 90 days before your disqualification ends. You must fill in the form and send it to DVLA to reapply for your licence.

Medical examination with a DVLA doctor

Once DVLA receive your application for a new licence, they’ll send you the doctors details so you can make an appointment.

You have to pay for your examination.

During the examination, you’ll:

  • complete a questionnaire about your medical history and use of alcohol
  • take part in a physical examination
  • have your blood tested

The process is different in Northern Ireland.