You can use this service to:
- view your driving record, for example vehicles you can drive
- check your penalty points or disqualifications
- create a licence ‘check code’ to share your driving record with someone, for example a car hire company
The check code will be valid for 21 days.
- your driving licence number
- your National Insurance number
- the postcode on your driving licence
This service is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).
You can only use this service if your licence was issued in England, Wales or Scotland.
It’s a criminal offence to obtain someone else’s personal information without their permission.
If your licence expires before 31 December 2020
Your driving licence or entitlement to drive will be automatically extended for 11 months if it expires between 1 February 2020 and 31 December 2020. This is because of coronavirus (COVID-19).
The extension starts from the date your licence is due to expire.
This service only shows the original expiry date, not the extension.
Apply using GOV.UK Verify
You can also use GOV.UK Verify to access your driving licence information and get a licence check code.
If you haven’t used GOV.UK Verify before, it will take you about 5 minutes to get set up.
Apply by phone
0300 083 0013
Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm
Saturday, 8am to 2pm
Find out about call charges
Apply by post
You can either send a request form or a letter with the following information to the DVLA:
- your full name and address
- your driver licence number (or your date of birth if you don’t know your driver number)
Send your request to: