You can use this service to:
- view your driving record, for example vehicles you can drive
- check your penalty points or disqualifications
- create a licence ‘check code’ to share your driving record with someone, for example a car hire company
The check code will be valid for 21 days.
- your driving licence number
- your National Insurance number - find your National Insurance number if you’ve lost it
- the postcode on your driving licence
This service is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).
You can only use this service if your licence was issued in England, Wales or Scotland.
It’s a criminal offence to obtain someone else’s personal information without their permission.
Apply by phone
0300 083 0013
Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm
Saturday, 8am to 2pm
Find out about call charges
Apply by email
You cannot apply for a check code by email.
Fill in the ‘make a subject access request to DVLA form’.
If you open the form using Adobe, you can use the ‘submit request’ option to attach the form to an email.
If you open the form using a web browser, save the form and send it by email to email@example.com.
Include the following in your email:
- your full name
- your address
- your driver licence number (or your date of birth if you do not know your driver number)
Apply by post
You cannot apply for a check code by post.
Print and fill in the ‘make a subject access request to DVLA form’. Send it to the DVLA.
Subject Access Request (SAR) Enquiries