Exchange your paper driving licence for a photocard licence

You must get a new licence if:

If none of these apply and your paper licence is still valid, you do not need to exchange it for a photocard version.

You cannot apply online if you’ve changed your name. Apply by post using form D1 for cars and motorbikes, or form D2 for lorries and buses. Both forms are available at most Post Offices.


It’s free to get a new licence if you’ve changed your name or address and still have your paper licence

It costs £20 to get a new licence if your licence has been defaced, lost, stolen or destroyed or for any other reason.

You can pay by MasterCard, Visa, Electron or Delta debit or credit card.

This service is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

Start now

Before you start

To renew online you must:

  • be a resident of Great Britain
  • not be disqualified from driving
  • not be prevented from driving for any reason
  • meet the minimum eyesight requirement

You’ll need:

  • a valid UK passport or another form of identity
  • your driving licence
  • your National Insurance number (if you know it)
  • addresses of where you’ve lived over the last 3 years

The photo for your licence

DVLA will use the photo on your UK digital passport.

You’ll need to send a photo by post if DVLA cannot use your digital passport photo, or if you do not want them to use it. At the end of your online application a form will be posted to you so you can return it with your photo.

Driving before you get your new licence

You can drive while your licence is being renewed if you meet all the following conditions:

  • you have the support of your doctor to continue driving
  • you had a valid licence
  • you only drive under the conditions of the previous licence
  • your application is less than a year old
  • your last licence was not revoked or refused for medical reasons
  • you’re not currently disqualified
  • you were not disqualified as a high risk offender on or after 1 June 2013

Read the guidance ‘Can I drive while my application is with DVLA?’ for more information.

DVLA will send you a confirmation email once you’ve applied.

Other ways to apply

You can also apply to exchange your licence in person or by post by completing:

  • form D1 for cars and motorbikes
  • form D2 for buses and lorries

You can get these from most Post Offices. You’ll also need to include:

  • original identity documents
  • a colour passport-type photograph
  • the fee of £20, if needed (if you’re applying by post make cheques or postal orders payable to DVLA - do not send cash)

For cars and motorbikes send all your documents to:

SA99 1BU

For buses and lorries send all your documents to:

SA99 1BR

After you apply

DVLA will aim to send your driving licence within 3 weeks. It may take longer if your medical or personal details need to be checked.