Renew your driving licence online with DVLA for free if you’re 70 or over – or will be 70 in the next 90 days.
This page is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).
Your licence should arrive within one week if you apply online.
You can use this service to renew your British driving licence if you’re 70 or over, or will be 70 in the next 90 days, and:
- your British licence has expired – or it’s going to expire within 90 days
- you’re a resident of Great Britain (there’s a different service in Northern Ireland)
- you meet the minimum eyesight requirement
- you aren’t prevented from driving for any reason
Once you reach 70, you must renew every 3 years.
You can change the licence photo at the same time as renewing your licence.
You cannot use this service to renew a C1 (medium-sized vehicles) or D1 (minibus) entitlement - you must do this by post.
What you need
If you haven’t used this service before, you need to register with:
- an email address
- addresses of where you’ve lived for the last 3 years
- your National Insurance number (if you know it)
- a valid UK passport number (if you want to change the licence photo)
DVLA will send you a confirmation email once you’ve applied. You might be asked to take part in research by email, but you can opt out.
Driving while DVLA has your licence
You can drive while your licence is being renewed if you meet all the following conditions:
- you have the support of your doctor to continue driving
- you had a valid licence
- you only drive under the conditions of the previous licence
- your application is less than a year old
- your last licence wasn’t revoked or refused for medical reasons
- you’re not currently disqualified
- you weren’t disqualified as a high risk offender on or after 1 June 2013
Read the guidance ‘Can I drive while my application is with DVLA?’ for more information.
You can apply by post using the D46P application form.
DVLA will automatically send you this form 90 days before your 70th birthday.
Use the D1 application for a driving licence form if you haven’t got the D46P form. You can pick one up at most Post Offices.
Your driving licence should arrive in 3 weeks. It might take longer if your medical or personal details need to be checked.
You must renew your C1 (medium-sized vehicles) or D1 (minibus) entitlements by post.