Renew your driving licence online with DVLA for free if you’re 70 or over – or soon will be.
Apply using your Government Gateway ID. If you don’t have one or need to re-register, you’ll get an ID as part of your application.
Start now on driver licensing online
You can use this service to renew your current British driving licence if you’re already 70 or over (or soon will be) and:
- your British licence has expired – or it’s going to expire within 90 days
- you’re a resident of Great Britain (there’s a different service in Northern Ireland)
- you meet the minimum eyesight requirement
- you aren’t prevented from driving for any reason
Once you reach 70, you must renew every 3 years.
You can change the licence photo at the same time as renewing your licence.
Your licence should arrive within one week if you apply online.
What you’ll need
If you haven’t used this service before, you’ll need to register with:
- an email address
- addresses of where you’ve lived for the last 3 years
- your National Insurance number
- a valid UK passport number (if you want to change the licence photo)
Driving while DVLA has your licence
You can drive while your licence is being renewed if you meet all the following conditions:
- you have the support of your doctor to continue driving
- you had a valid licence
- you only drive under the conditions of the previous licence
- your application is less than a year old
- your last licence wasn’t revoked or refused for medical reasons
- you’re not currently disqualified
- you weren’t disqualified as a high risk offender on or after 1 June 2013
Read the guidance ‘Can I drive while my application is with DVLA?’ for more information.
Renew a C1 or D1 entitlement
You can’t use this service to renew a C1 (medium-sized vehicles) or D1 (minibus) entitlement - you must do this by post.
You can apply by post using the D46P application form.
DVLA will automatically send you this form 90 days before your 70th birthday.
Postal applications take up to 3 weeks.
You must renew your C1 (medium-sized vehicles) or D1 (minibus) entitlements by post or at a Post Office.