Renew your driving licence online with DVLA for free if you’re 70 or over – or soon will be.
Apply using your Government Gateway ID. If you don’t have one or need to re-register, you’ll get an ID as part of your application.
Start now on driver licensing online
You can use this service to renew your current British driving licence if you’re already 70 or over (or soon will be) and:
- your British licence has expired – or it’s going to expire within 90 days
- you’re a resident of Great Britain (there’s a different service in Northern Ireland)
- you meet the minimum eyesight requirement
- you aren’t prevented from driving for any reason
Once you reach 70, you must renew every 3 years.
You can change the licence photo at the same time as renewing your licence.
Your licence should arrive within one week if you apply online.
What you’ll need
To use this service you’ll need:
- an email address
- addresses of where you’ve lived over the last 3 years
- your National Insurance number
- a valid UK passport (if you want to change the licence photo)
Driving while DVLA has your licence
You can drive while your licence is being renewed if you meet all the following conditions:
- DVLA has your valid application which is less than one year old
- you’ve held a licence from Great Britain, the European Union or a country where you can change a non-British driving licence for a British licence
- your doctor or consultant says you can keep driving
- you’re not disqualified from driving
- you follow any specific conditions attached to your licence
- your licence hasn’t been taken away for a medical reason (or because you broke the medical conditions of your licence)
Renew a C1 or D1 entitlement
You can’t use this service to renew a C1 (medium-sized vehicles) or D1 (minibus) entitlement - you must do this by post.
You can apply by post using the D46P application form.
DVLA will automatically send you this form 90 days before your 70th birthday.
Postal applications take up to 3 weeks.
You must renew your C1 (medium-sized vehicles) or D1 (minibus) entitlements by post or at a Post Office.