Renew your driving licence online with DVLA for free if you’re 70 or over – or will be 70 in the next 90 days.
It may take longer than usual for you to get your licence because of coronavirus (COVID-19).
This page is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).
If your licence expires before 31 December 2020
Your driving licence or entitlement to drive will be automatically extended for 11 months if it’s due to expire between 1 February 2020 and 31 December 2020.
This is because of coronavirus (COVID-19). You will not receive a new licence.
The extension will start from the date your licence is due to expire.
You can renew your licence online at any time before the extension ends.
Your licence should arrive within one week if you apply online.
You can use this service to renew your British driving licence if you’re 70 or over, or will be 70 in the next 90 days, and:
- your British licence has expired – or it’s going to expire within 90 days
- you’re a resident of Great Britain (there’s a different service in Northern Ireland)
- you meet the minimum eyesight requirement
- you aren’t prevented from driving for any reason
Once you reach 70, you must renew every 3 years.
You can change the licence photo at the same time as renewing your licence.
You cannot use this service to renew a C1 (medium-sized vehicles) or D1 (minibus) entitlement - you must do this by post.
What you need
If you haven’t used this service before, you need to register with:
- an email address
- addresses of where you’ve lived for the last 3 years
- your National Insurance number (if you know it)
- a valid UK passport number (if you want to change the licence photo)
DVLA will send you a confirmation email once you’ve applied. You might be asked to take part in research by email, but you can opt out.
Driving while DVLA has your licence
You can drive while your licence is being renewed if you meet all the following conditions:
- you have the support of your doctor to continue driving
- you had a valid licence
- you only drive under the conditions of the previous licence
- your application is less than a year old
- your last licence wasn’t revoked or refused for medical reasons
- you’re not currently disqualified
- you weren’t disqualified as a high risk offender on or after 1 June 2013
Read the guidance ‘Can I drive while my application is with DVLA?’ for more information.
You can apply by post using the D46P application form.
DVLA will automatically send you this form 90 days before your 70th birthday.
Use the D1 application for a driving licence form if you haven’t got the D46P form. You can pick one up at most Post Offices.
It may take longer than 3 weeks for you to get your new licence because of coronavirus (COVID-19).
You must renew your C1 (medium-sized vehicles) or D1 (minibus) entitlements by post.