If you’re 45 or older, you’ll need to renew your licence to drive lorries, minibuses or buses every 5 years. When you reach 65, you’ll need to renew your licence every year.
You’ll get 2 forms from DVLA 56 days before your driving licence runs out:
- an ‘application for renewal of lorry and bus entitlement’ (D47P)
- a ‘medical examination report’ form (D4)
The process in Northern Ireland is different.
How to apply
Complete form D47P.
Ask a doctor to complete the medical examination report (form D4). You can ask an optometrist or an optician to fill in the vision assessment section if your doctor can’t complete the whole report. The doctor, optician or optometrist will normally charge for this.
Send the completed forms to DVLA.
If you don’t receive the reminder application forms, you can get form D2 with form D4 from the DVLA form ordering service.
If you need to change the photo
A message on your D47P form will tell you if a photo is needed with your application.
If so, you’ll need to include a new passport type photo.
If your name has changed
If your name has changed you’ll also need to send:
- a completed form D2 ‘Application for a driving licence for a lorry, minibus or bus’
- original documentation confirming your change of name
If you have a paper driving licence
Complete forms D47P and D4.
Send original documentation confirming your identity.
Enclose a passport type photo.
Send your forms, documents and photo to DVLA.
When to expect your licence
You should get your licence within 3 weeks of DVLA receiving your application. It’ll take longer if your health or personal details have to be checked.
Driving before your licence is returned
You can drive while your licence is being renewed if you meet all the following conditions:
- you have the support of your doctor to continue driving
- you had a valid licence
- you only drive under the conditions of the previous licence
- your application is less than a year old
- your last licence wasn’t revoked or refused for medical reasons
- you’re not currently disqualified
- you weren’t disqualified as a high risk offender on or after 1 June 2013
Read the guidance ‘Can I drive while my application is with DVLA?’ for more information.