If you’re 45 or over
DVLA will send you 2 forms before your driving licence runs out. You’ll get:
- an ‘application for renewal of lorry and bus entitlement’ (D47P)
- a ‘medical examination report’ form (D4)
The process is different in Northern Ireland.
Order the D2/D4 pack if you have not received forms D47P and D4 in the post.
How to apply
Complete form D47P.
Ask a doctor to complete the medical examination report (form D4). You can ask an optometrist or an optician to fill in the vision assessment section if your doctor cannot complete the whole report. The doctor, optician or optometrist will normally charge for this.
Send the completed forms to DVLA.
If you cannot get a medical appointment
You may be able to get a 1-year licence without a medical examination report form (D4) if all of the following apply:
- you have tried but have not been able to get an appointment with a doctor
- your lorry or bus driving licence expires after 1 January 2020
- you have not already been issued a 1-year licence in this scheme
- you have not had your licence automatically extended for 11 months
If you need to change the photo
Your application form will tell you if a photo is needed with your application.
If so, you’ll need to include a new passport type photo.
If your name has changed
If your name has changed you’ll also need to send original documentation confirming your change of name.
If you have a paper driving licence
If you have a paper driving licence you’ll also need to send:
- original documentation confirming your identity
- a passport type photo
Driving before your licence is returned
You can drive while your licence is being renewed if you meet all of the following conditions:
- you have not been told by your doctor or optician that you should not drive
- you had a valid licence
- you only drive under the conditions of the previous licence
- your application is less than a year old
- your last licence was not revoked or refused for medical reasons
- you’re not currently disqualified
- you were not disqualified as a high risk offender on or after 1 June 2013
Read the guidance for more information on driving while your application is with DVLA.