Renew or change a lorry or bus licence

Skip to contents of guide

If you’re under 45

DVLA will send you an ‘application for renewal of lorry and bus entitlement’ (D47PU) form 56 days before your driving licence runs out.

You’ll need to follow the process for drivers 45 and over if your licence runs out within 56 days of your 45th birthday.

If you do not want to renew but you want to continue driving cars and motorbikes, you must fill in section 2B of the form D47PU.

How to renew

  1. Complete form D47PU.

  2. Send it to DVLA along with your current licence (unless you need to use it soon for driver training).

SA99 1BR

Order a D2 pack if you have not received the D47PU form in the post.

The process is different in Northern Ireland.

If you need to change the photo

Your D47PU form will tell you if a photo is needed with your application.

If so, you’ll need to include a new passport type photo.

If your name has changed

If your name has changed you’ll also need to send original documentation confirming your change of name.

If you have a paper driving licence

If you have a paper driving licence you’ll also need to send:

If you’re applying to drive another type of vehicle

You need to complete form D4 if you have not completed the form in the last year and either:

  • you’re renewing a lorry licence and applying for a provisional bus licence
  • you’re renewing a bus licence and applying for a provisional lorry licence

Driving before your licence is returned

You can drive while your licence is being renewed if you meet all of the following conditions:

  • you have the support of your doctor to continue driving
  • you had a valid licence
  • you only drive under the conditions of the previous licence
  • your application is less than a year old
  • your last licence was not revoked or refused for medical reasons
  • you’re not currently disqualified
  • you were not disqualified as a high risk offender on or after 1 June 2013

Read the guidance for more information on driving while your application is with DVLA.

After you’ve got your new licence

Send your old licence to DVLA, if you have not already sent it.

SA99 1BR