Change your address
You must update your vehicle log book (V5C) if you change your address. It’s usually free to update it.
You can be fined up to £1,000 if you do not tell DVLA when your address changes.
Use this service to change the address in your log book to a new UK address.
This service is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).
You cannot use this service if:
- you have already sent your log book to the DVLA
- you have sold or transferred the vehicle - tell DVLA through a different service
- you’ve lost your log book - you need to apply for a new log book instead
- your vehicle is registered as part of the DVLA fleet scheme
- your new address is abroad, including the channel islands (Jersey and Guernsey), Isle of Man or Ireland
This service is available from 7am to 7pm.
If you want to change your name and address at the same time, you need to apply by post for both changes. You should also apply by post if you only want to change your name.
Before you start
- the registration number of your vehicle
- your log book reference number
- a UK address
Other ways to apply
You can also apply by post to change your address. How you do this depends on which style log book you have.
If you have the new style log book with multi-coloured numbered blocks on the front cover, you need to:
- write the new address in section 3 - do not use a PO Box address
- send the whole log book to the DVLA address in section 3
If you have the older style log book you need to:
- write the new address in section 6 - do not use a PO Box address
- sign and send the whole log book to the DVLA address in section 8
Do not tick the ‘new keeper’ box or fill in your name on the older style form.
If your vehicle needs taxing in the next 4 weeks
- tax your vehicle online before sending your log book to DVLA
- take your log book to a Post Office that deals with vehicle tax, to change your details and tax your vehicle at the same time
Take your latest MOT test certificate if your vehicle has to have an MOT every year. The certificate must be valid when the vehicle tax starts.
If you’re moving to an address outside of the UK
If you’re taking your vehicle, take the log book and register the vehicle in the country you’re moving to.
If you have a trailer, you may need to register it to take it abroad.
If your new log book does not arrive
Contact DVLA if the new log book has not arrived after 6 weeks.