Change your address on your vehicle log book (V5C)

Skip contents

Change your address

You must update your vehicle log book (V5C) if you change your address. It’s usually free to update it.

This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

You must also:

You can be fined up to £1,000 if you do not tell DVLA when your address changes.

Who cannot use this service

You need to update your details in a different way if:

You also cannot use this service if:

  • you’ve already sent your log book to the DVLA
  • you’ve lost your log book - you need to apply for a new log book instead
  • your vehicle is registered as part of the DVLA fleet scheme
  • your new address is abroad, including the channel islands (Jersey and Guernsey), Isle of Man or Ireland

Change your address online

Use this service to change the address in your log book to a new UK address.

This service is available from 7am to 8pm.

To use this service, you must be the vehicle’s ‘registered keeper’.

Start now

Before you start

You need:

  • the registration number of your vehicle
  • your log book reference number
  • a UK address
  • to check if your vehicle needs taxing in the next 4 weeks

If your vehicle needs taxing in the next 4 weeks you’ll need to tax your vehicle online using your current V5C before changing your address.

Other ways to apply

You can also apply by post to change your address. How you do this depends on which style log book you have.

If you have the new style log book with multi-coloured numbered blocks on the front cover, you need to:

  • write the new address in section 3 - do not use a PO Box address
  • send the whole log book to the DVLA address in section 3

If you have the older style log book you need to:

  • write the new address in section 6 - do not use a PO Box address
  • sign and send the whole log book to the DVLA address in section 8

Do not tick the ‘new keeper’ box or fill in your name on the older style form.

If your vehicle needs taxing in the next 4 weeks


  • tax your vehicle online before sending your log book to DVLA
  • take your log book to a Post Office that deals with vehicle tax, to change your details and tax your vehicle at the same time

Take your latest MOT test certificate if your vehicle has to have an MOT every year. The certificate must be valid when the vehicle tax starts.

If you’re moving to an address outside of the UK

If you’re taking your vehicle, take the log book and register the vehicle in the country you’re moving to.

If you have a trailer, you may need to register it to take it abroad.

If your new log book does not arrive

Contact DVLA if the new log book has not arrived after 4 weeks.

If you have not received your log book after 6 weeks and you have not notified DVLA, you’ll have to pay £25 to get a replacement.

  1. Step 1 Update your driving licence

    You must update your provisional or full driving licence when you move.

    1. Change the address on your driving licence
  2. Step 2 Update your vehicle's log book (V5C)

    You must update a vehicle's log book if you're the registered keeper.

    1. You are currently viewing: Change the address on your vehicle's log book
  3. Step 3 Update your Direct Debit

    If you pay for your vehicle tax by Direct Debit, you need to tell DVLA when you change address.

    1. Phone DVLA to tell them you've moved
  4. Step 4 Update your personalised number plate documents

    If you have a private registration number and it's not on a vehicle, you must update your V750 or V778 documents.

    1. Update your personalised registration documents
  5. Step 5 Update your trailer registration certificate

    If you have a trailer and want to continue taking it abroad, you must register it to your new address.

    1. Change the address on your trailer registration certificate