Change the address on your driving licence

Apply by post

You can also change the address on your licence by post. The process is different depending on whether you have a photocard or paper driving licence.

Photocard driving licence

Complete the ‘changes’ section on letter D741 that came with your licence.

Then send both your photocard driving licence and the letter to DVLA.

SA99 1BN

If you do not have your D741, order a licence application form to update your address. Order form D1 for cars or motorcycles or D2 for lorries and buses.

If you want to change your photo at the same time

Order and fill in a D1 form.

You’ll also need to send:

  • a recent passport-style photo
  • a cheque or postal order for £17, payable to DVLA (there’s no fee if you’re over 70 or have a medical short period licence)

If want to change your name at the same time

Order and fill in a D1 form.

You’ll also need to send original documents in your new name.

Paper driving licence

Send the following to DVLA:

What happens next

Your updated licence should arrive within 3 weeks. Contact DVLA if it has not arrived after then.

  1. Step 1 Update your driving licence

    You must update your provisional or full driving licence when you move.

    1. Change the address on your driving licence
  2. Step 2 Update your vehicle's log book (V5C)

    You must update a vehicle's log book if you're the registered keeper.

    1. Change the address on your vehicle's log book
  3. Step 3 Update your Direct Debit

    If you pay for your vehicle tax by Direct Debit, you need to tell DVLA when you change address.

    1. Phone DVLA to tell them you've moved
  4. Step 4 Update your personalised number plate documents

    If you have a private registration number and it's not on a vehicle, you must update your V750 or V778 documents.

    1. Update your personalised registration documents