Taking a vehicle out of the UK

For less than 12 months

Take your V5C (log book) with you if you’re taking your vehicle abroad for less than 12 months (also known as temporary export). If your V5C needs updating, allow 6 weeks before you travel to get it back in time.

UK-registered vehicles that are exported temporarily remain subject to UK law. That means you need to make sure:

  • your vehicle is taxed in the UK while it’s abroad
  • you have a current MOT
  • you have insurance

You’ll also need to make sure you meet any international or national conditions for licensing and taxation.

Taking a vehicle outside the EU

You may need to pay import duty on your vehicle if you take it outside the EU. Check with the authorities in the country you’re taking your vehicle to.

If the country charges duty, you can buy a CPD Carnet. This lets you take your vehicle into the country temporarily without paying duty. It can also make crossing the border simpler.

You’ll usually get the carnet within 4 weeks of applying. It costs from £210 and you’ll also need to pay a deposit.

Bringing your vehicle back untaxed

If you bring your vehicle back to the UK untaxed you cannot drive it back into the UK - it’ll have to be transported and a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) must be made straight away.

Taking hired vehicles abroad temporarily

You’ll need a VE103 vehicle on hire certificate to show you’re allowed to use a hire vehicle if you’re driving it abroad.

You can get a VE103 for a fee from the: