Living in Denmark

Guide contains advice for British nationals in Denmark. Information about getting married, finding accommodation, and seeking employment.


This guide sets out essential information for British nationals residing in Denmark, including advice on health, education, benefits, residence requirements and more. We are unable to provide any guidance on general lifestyle enquiries apart from the information and links listed below. See our information on what consulates can and cannot do for British nationals.

Entry and residence requirements

Persons who are NOT EU nationals and who intend to enter Denmark for employment cannot do so unless they have a Danish Work and Residence Permit in their passports before arrival in Denmark. Permits are obtainable from Danish diplomatic or consular representatives. Danish Work and Residence Permits cannot be issued after arrival in Denmark.

For more information about the entry requirements for British passport holders, see our travel advice for Denmark. If you are a British passport holder you are an EU national.

Applying for a Residence Permit in Denmark (EU Nationals)

If an EU national wants to stay in Denmark for more than three months (or more than six months for job seekers) and s/he is not also a national of a Nordic country, s/he must apply for an EU residence permit (document) from the Regional State Administration. The application must be submitted within three months after entry into Denmark. Job seekers must submit the application within six months after their entry.

Further information is available on the Danish government’s official website for foreigners in Denmark.

Registration as a foreigner with Danish local authorities

When the residence document has been issued, foreigners must register with the civil registration office (Folkeregisteret) in their area of residence. The Registration Offices are normally located in local Town Halls (Rådhus) – in Copenhagen, at:

Copenhagen Rådhus
Dahlerupsgade 6
Copenhagen V

Telephone +45 3366 3366

In Gentofte, at:

Gentofte Rådhus
Bernstorffsvej 161

Telephone +45 3998 0000


When registering at your local Folkeregisteret you will automatically join the National Health Insurance scheme in Denmark. You will receive a National Health Insurance Card (Sygesikringsbevis), which gives access to free medical treatment by doctors, and in hospitals. Your regular doctor can prescribe medicine, refer patients to a specialist for examination and treatment, send patients to a hospital for examination and treatment, etc.

For UK residents visiting Denmark please remember to apply for your UK European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before you leave.

For information on moving to Denmark, and healthcare, visit the EHIC Denmark website.

If you are in receipt of a UK old age state pension, request an S1 form (previously E121) from the Overseas Healthcare Team on +44 191 218 1999. If you are in receipt of an exportable DWP benefit you can request an S1 form the office which pays your exportable benefit. It is your responsibility to keep the Overseas Healthcare Team or office which pays your exportable DWP benefit up to date with any changes in circumstances which may affect your entitlement to an S1 (E121). When received, register the S1 form with your local state office, before you register with your local GP surgery and obtain a medical card.


To open a bank account in Denmark, you need to be registered with your civil registration office (see above Entry and residence requirements section), and have a foreigner’s civil registration number (CPR-nummer). Depending on the bank, other information may be required for example, some banks may also request an employment contract, and students may have to prove that they have been admitted to a university or school in Denmark.

Britain has a double taxation agreement with Denmark to ensure people do not pay tax on the same income in both countries.

Registration with your local Folkeregisteret also means that the Danish Tax Office is informed of the details of new residents. Danish taxation is high. Income tax is deducted from wages (Pay as You Earn) and a final settlement is made the following year, after a tax return in February of that year.

Taxation is a complex issue and it is strongly recommended that professional advice is sought.

When working in Denmark, it is important that you obtain a Skattekort (income tax card). This can be obtained at your local Kommune (municipality). They will give you a tax classification depending on your family status. Your employer will need this.


Denmark has a good standard of education for all ages. See the website Study In Denmark for more information about the Danish education system.

Driving licences and vehicles

A driving licence issued in any EU country is valid for driving in Denmark. The licence must be carried at all times when driving. If you are stopped with it not in your possession, you can be charged a high fine.

You will need to swap your British driving licence for a Danish driving licence if you are resident in Denmark. For information on the validity of your driving licence in Denmark, visit the Life in Denmark website for information in English.

See the information about importing a non-Danish registered car to Denmark.


The UK basic state pension, and other benefits are payable in Denmark, see our benefits, pension and tax information if you are retiring or moving abroad.

Danish Pensions

The most common pension systems in Denmark are private and state. For more information on the Danish Pension system, visit the Ministry of Children, Gender Equality, Integration and Social Affairs website.

Danish contribution-based benefits

Working and paying contributions in Denmark gives you entitlement to a number of Danish social security benefits. These benefits include unemployment benefit, permanent and temporary incapacity benefit etc. Ask at your local Kommune (municipality) for further information.

For more information on social security, visit the Life in Denmark website.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy by the relevant local authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. The FCO and the British embassy will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. British nationals wishing to obtain any further information must contact the relevant local authority.

Published 21 November 2013
Last updated 8 May 2017 + show all updates
  1. Added information on UK pension
  2. First published.