Notarial and documentary services in Denmark

Documents, certificates, letters and notes available at British Embassy in Denmark.


The British embassy can provide a range of notarial and documentary services for British nationals in Denmark.

Where local notaries can provide services, the British embassy will not provide them. In many cases local notaries or lawyers can provide services more cheaply, quickly and conveniently.

You must make an appointment for each service that requires your personal attendance. Please use the links after each service to make an appointment.

Before booking, make sure you have selected the correct service and that the document will be accepted by the relevant authority. This could be the local town hall, registry office, tax authorities, immigration office or another authority either in Denmark, the UK or a third country. The British embassy cannot confirm that certificates or services will be accepted; only the relevant authority can provide this information.

You can get examples of the wording of the consular certificates to present to the relevant authority for advice. Please send us an enquiry using our web form with your request.

Services we provide in Denmark

Consular staff in Denmark can:

  • administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit
  • witnessing a signature
  • make a certified copy of a British passport

For information about documents relating to marriage, such as a certificate of no impediment (CNI) and affirmations or affidavits of marital status, please see getting married abroad. If you are living abroad or in the UK and getting married in Denmark to a Danish national, please get in touch with your nearest Danish embassy to find out what you need to do.

If you can’t find the service you are looking for on this page, please see other services provided by the British Embassy in Denmark.

What to bring to your appointment

See the individual services below for details of supporting documents to bring. Make sure you have acceptable proof of address and identity, and payment for any fees. See the full list of consular fees.


We accept payment by Visa or MasterCard on the day of the appointment.

Proof of address and identity

For all appointments for notarial services you will need to bring acceptable proof of your identity and address.

We accept passports, or Danish Residence Permits and Danish National CPR Yellow Card as proof of identity.

We also accept your Danish National CPR Yellow Card as proof of your address.

Administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit

This service is for people who need to swear an oath, make an affirmation or make an affidavit in front of a consular officer.

The embassy will not draft documents for you. First check with the embassy what format they need and then have the document drawn up or checked by a professional.

What you will need to bring with you:

Book an appointment to adminster an oath, affirmation or affidavit in Copenhagen

Witness a signature

This service is for customers who need to sign a document and have their signature witnessed by a consular officer. The document must be prepared before your appointment as we will not draft documents for you. We do not handle wills or probate, or witness deed polls.

Please do not sign the document before your appointment.

What you will need to bring with you:

If you believe you require this service, please contact us using our web form with your request for an appointment.

Make a certified copy of a British passport

This service is for customers who need certified photocopies of British passports.

What you will need to bring with you:

Book an appointment to make a certified copy in Copenhagen

Services provided elsewhere

We no longer provide life certificates for British nationals claiming a British pension abroad. Please refer to the list of people working in a recognised profession who can do this for you.

Data protection

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office holds and uses data for purposes notified to the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act 1998. Such personal data may be disclosed to other UK government departments and public authorities.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy / consulate by the relevant authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. Accordingly the FCO and the British embassy / consulate will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. For all notarial and legalisation services it is the responsibility of the customer to ascertain the precise requirements of the person requesting the notarial or legalisation service and to satisfy themselves that the service provided by the embassy/consulate will be accepted.

Published 30 April 2013
Last updated 16 July 2018 + show all updates
  1. Amended July 2018
  2. Added instructions to book an appointment online for these services.
  3. First published.