Living in Jamaica

Advice for British people living in Jamaica, including information on health, education, benefits, residence requirements and more.


This guide sets out essential information for British national residing in Jamaica, including advice on health, education, benefits, residence requirements and more. We are unable to provide any guidance on general lifestyle enquiries apart from the information and links listed below. See ‘Our services’ section for on what we can and cannot do for British nationals. This information supplements the travel advice for Jamaica.

Entry and residence requirements

British nationals do not need a visa to enter Jamaica but immigration will place a stamp in your passport which shows the date by which you must leave. Please read our travel advice to learn more about this. Information on residency must be obtained from the Passport Immigration and Citizenship Agency, PICA.

Information for returning residents can be obtained from the Jamaican High Commission.

Health and medication

Jamaica has both government and privately operated hospitals. For more information on hospitals and health facilities, you can visit the Ministry of Health website. Hospitals are grouped based on location.

Please ensure you read our travel advice before visiting Jamaica and ensure that you have appropriate health coverage to cover medical treatment when travelling abroad.

Bringing medication into Jamaica

It is important to find out what the requirements are regarding bringing in medication into Jamaica. A special permit will be required. Please contact the Jamaica Customs Agency and the Ministry of Health’s Pharmaceutical and Regulatory Affairs Division for clear guidelines on this.


A list of banks and other financial institutions that operate in Jamaica can be found on the Bank of Jamaica Website. For information in opening an account, contact must be made with the institution of your choice.

Information on taxes, such as property, GCT and income, can be found on the Tax Administration Department website.


Jamaica has both government and privately owned educational institutions at all levels. You can find a list of all schools in Jamaica, arranged by parish, type and level on the Ministry of Education website.

Ministry of Education
2 National Heroes Circle,
Kingston 4

Employment and Recognised Qualifications

British nationals can apply to live and work in Jamaica. Information on entry requirements and work permits are provided by the Ministry of Labour and the local immigration department, PICA.

Requirements and qualifications for jobs are at the employer’s discretion.


Jamaican pensions are managed either privately or by the government. The arrangements are determined by the employer. Eligibility for local pension must be obtained from the Ministry of Labour.

If you are moving or retiring abroad, it is important to inform relevant benefits offices that you are planning a move and find out which benefits you can claim to while living overseas.

Driving licences and vehicles

You can drive in Jamaica using a UK driving licence for up to 6 months. A Jamaican driving licence can be obtained from the Tax Administration Department.

Published 16 May 2016