Apply for a first child passport

If your child has never had a British passport you must apply for a first child passport.

Your child must have British nationality to be eligible for a British passport.

How to apply

Apply online

You can apply for a child passport online.

You must print off your application form and send it to HM Passport Office with your photos and supporting documents. The address is on the form.

Apply by post

You can apply by post by either:

Fill in sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 9 of the form. Your child needs to sign section 6 if they’re 12 or over. You need to get someone else, known as your ‘countersignatory’, to fill in section 10 and certify your child’s photo.

Read the booklet that comes with the form if you need help with your application.

To send in your application, you can either:

  • post your form, photos and documents using the pre-printed envelope that comes with the form
  • take your form, photos and documents to the Post Office if you want to use the Passport Check and Send service

Signing the application

Someone with parental responsibility must sign the form.

If your child is 12 to 15 they need to sign the form too.

What documents to send with your application

You must send:

  • 2 new photos of your child
  • the child’s full birth or adoption certificate (the one with parent’s details on it)
  • proof that your child has British nationality (for example a British registration certificate, parent’s passport details or parent’s birth certificates)
  • any valid passports from a different country belonging to the child
  • any court orders (for example, that describe parental responsibility or residency arrangements)

Read the guidance notes to find out which documents you need to send.

You must send original documents or official copies of certificates. Photocopies are not accepted, even ‘certified copies’.

If your documents are not in English or Welsh, you’ll need to send certified translations as well as the originals.

You cannot send laminated documents.

If the name on the passport does not match the name on the birth certificate

You must send:

  • a signed and dated letter from everyone with parental responsibility confirming the name change and that they agree to the child getting a new passport
  • a deed poll
  • at least one piece of evidence that shows the new name being used, for example NHS records, child benefits or school records

Choose how you want your documents sent back

Your documents will be sent back to you by normal post, but you can pay an extra £5 to get them sent by secure delivery. Choose this service on your application if you want to use it.

Getting your passport

Your new passport will be sent to you by courier or Royal Mail. They’ll either:

  • post it through your letterbox
  • hand it to you if you’re home
  • leave a card or post you a letter saying how you can get it (it will not say the package is your passport)

You can track your passport application.