Some Post Offices can check your passport application - called ‘Check and Send’. It’s less likely that your application will be rejected if you use Check and Send.
Look up a Post Office that offers the Check and Send service. From the drop down list, choose:
- ‘Passport Check and Send - paper’ if you’re applying with a paper form
- ‘Passport Check and Send - digital’ if you want Post Office staff to take your photo and enter your application details online for you
How much it costs
Paper Check and Send does not include the cost of the photo. It costs £9.75 on top of the passport fee for paper applications and the cost of your photos.
Digital Check and Send includes the cost of the photo. It costs £15.40 on top of the passport fee for online applications.
The Check and Send service is free if you qualify for a free passport.
How to pay
You can pay using:
- credit or debit card
- postal order (payable to ‘Post Office Limited’)
You can ask for a refund of the Check and Send fee if the Post Office makes a mistake. You cannot get any other refund if your application is rejected.
How Check and Send works
You can use this service for any type of passport application. You should take your completed paper application form, photos and any supporting documents to the Post Office.
The Post Office Check and Send service will check you’ve:
- filled in the right sections of the paper form
- got the right supporting documents (including photos)
- paid the right fee
They will send your application to Her Majesty’s Passport Office by Special Delivery.
Using Check and Send is usually faster than posting your own application. Her Majesty’s Passport Office may still need to contact either you or your countersignatory to check details.
You can use this service to renew your passport if:
- you’re 16 or older
- your old passport isn’t damaged and was issued on or after 2002
- you haven’t changed your name or national status
- you can be recognised as the same person from the photo in your old passport
You need to bring your old passport to the Post Office. They will take your photo, fill in the application online and submit it for you. They’ll send your old passport to HM Passport Office by Special Delivery.
You’ll get email and text updates from HM Passport Office at each stage of the application process, and you can track it online.
Using the Check and Send service does not guarantee your passport application will be successful.