You can renew or replace your passport at any time. It costs £72.50 or £81.25 through the Post Office’s Passport Check & Send service. Time left on an existing passport is added to your new one - up to a maximum of 9 months.
How long it takes
It takes 3 weeks to get your passport - use a different service if you need your passport urgently. Don’t book travel until you have a valid passport.
Damaged and expired passports
You must replace your passport as soon as possible if it has more than reasonable wear and tear - you may not be allowed to travel with it.
You must renew your expired passport before you can travel.
If you’re in the UK, you can:
- apply online
- request an application form online
- get one from a Post Office that offers the Passport Check & Send service
- ask the Passport Adviceline to post you one
There are different ways to apply if you’re outside the UK.
Online enquiry form
Telephone: 0300 222 0000
Textphone: 0300 222 0222
Text Relay: 18001 0300 222 0000
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday, Sunday and public holidays, 9am to 5:30pm
Find out about call charges
Include 2 identical new photos of yourself. Your application can be delayed if you don’t follow the rules about passport photos.
Get your application form and 1 of your photos signed by someone else to prove your identity if either:
- you can’t be recognised from the photo in your existing passport
- you’re replacing a lost, stolen or damaged passport
If you’re renewing your passport, send your previous passport with the visa attached to it with your application. Your previous passport will be returned with your new one.
Carry both passports if you want to use the visa in the previous passport.
Changing your name or personal details
If you’ve changed your name (eg through marriage, changed the spelling or added a middle name), you must send extra documents with your application.
Send your application
You can either:
- use the Passport Check & Send service for paper application forms
- post your application - use the pre-addressed envelope that comes with the form and include your existing passport, photos and supporting documents
You’ll need a credit or debit card to apply online.
If you apply by post, you can either pay by:
- debit or credit card - fill in the form in the application pack
- cheque (made payable to ‘Her Majesty’s Passport Office’)
Tracking your passport application
You can login and track your passport application straight away if you apply online.
You can start tracking your passport application 3 weeks after you apply if you apply by post.
Receiving your new passport
Your new passport will be sent to you either by courier or Royal Mail Recorded Delivery. The postman or courier will then do one of the following:
- hand your passport to you if you’re at home
- deliver your passport with the rest of your post
- leave you a card or send you a letter to tell you where to collect your passport or how to arrange redelivery
The ‘missed delivery’ card or letter won’t say that the package contains your passport.