It costs £72.50 to renew or replace your passport, or £82.25 if you use the Post Office’s Passport Check and Send service.
You must be aged 16 or over (or turning 16 in the next 3 weeks) if you want an adult passport. There’s a different process to get a passport for a child.
If you’re in the UK you can:
- renew your passport if it’s expired or will expire soon (including if you currently have a child passport)
- replace your passport if it’s been lost, stolen or damaged
- change the details on your passport
There are different ways to renew or replace your passport if you’re outside the UK.
How long it takes
It should take 3 weeks to get your passport. Use a different service if you need it urgently.
It can take longer if more information is needed or your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
Don’t book travel until you have a valid passport - doing so is at your own risk. Your new passport won’t have the same number as your old one.
Tracking your passport application
You can track your passport application immediately if you apply online or after 3 weeks if you apply by post.
Getting your new passport
Your new passport will be sent to you by courier or Royal Mail. They’ll either:
- post it through your letterbox
- hand it to you if you’re home
- leave a card or post you a letter saying how you can get it (it won’t say the package is your passport)