Get a passport for your child
1. Ways to apply, renew or update
If you’re in the UK, you can:
- fill in your information online then print and post your form, photos and documents to the address on the form (you can’t use the Post Office Passport Check and Send service if you fill in the form online)
- get a paper form from a Post Office that offers the Passport Check and Send service
- contact the Passport Adviceline to get a form posted to you
There’s a different way to get a passport for your child if you’re outside the UK.
How long it takes
It should take 3 weeks to get the passport - use the 1-week Fast Track service if you need it urgently.
Filling in the paper form
Applying for a first child passport
Fill in sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 9. Your child needs to sign section 6 if they’re 12 or over. Your countersignatory needs to fill in section 10 and certify your child’s photo.
Renewing a child passport
Fill in sections 1, 2, 3, 4, and 9. Your child needs to sign section 6 if they’re 12 or over. If your child is 11 or under or can’t be recognised from their old passport photo, you’ll need a countersignatory - they need to fill in section 10 and certify your child’s new photo.
If you need more help
There’s more help in the booklet that comes with the form.
Send your application
Print your form and post it with your photos and documents to the address on the form. You can’t use the Passport Check and Send service.
You can either:
- post your form, photos and documents using the pre-printed envelope that comes with the form
- take your form, photos and documents to the Post Office if you want to use the Passport Check and Send service
Track your application
You can track your passport application.
Getting your passport
Your new passport will be sent to you by courier or Royal Mail. They’ll either:
- post it through your letterbox
- hand it to you if you’re home
- leave a card or post you a letter saying how you can get it (it won’t say the package is your passport)
Contact the Passport Adviceline if you need help.