Change the name or personal details on a child passport

Your child will need to get a new passport if they’ve changed their name.

Contact the Passport Adviceline if you’re changing any other personal details on a child passport. This could include date of birth, place of birth or national status.

How to apply

Fill in the passport application with the name that you want printed on the passport.

Apply online

You can apply for a new child passport online.

You must print off your application form and send it to HM Passport Office with your photos and supporting documents. The address is on the form.

Apply by post

You can apply by post by either:

Fill in sections 1, 2, 3, 4 and 9 of the form. Your child needs to sign section 6 if they’re 12 or over.

If your child is 11 or under or cannot be recognised from their old passport photo you’ll need to get someone else, known as a ‘countersignatory’, to fill in section 10 and certify your child’s photo.

Read the booklet that comes with the form if you need help with your application.

To send in your application, you can either:

  • post your form, photos and documents using the pre-printed envelope that comes with the form
  • take your form, photos and documents to the Post Office if you want to use the Passport Check and Send service

Signing the application

Someone with parental responsibility must sign the form.

If your child is 12 to 15 they need to sign the form too.

What documents to send with your application

You must send:

  • 2 new photos of your child
  • the old passport
  • a deed poll or similar document about the name change
  • at least one piece of evidence that shows the new name being used, for example NHS records, child benefits or school records
  • written consent from everyone with parental responsibility

Choose how you want your documents sent back

Your documents will be sent back to you by normal post, but you can pay an extra £5 to get them sent by secure delivery. Choose this service on your application if you want to use it.

Getting your passport

Your new passport will be sent to you by courier or Royal Mail. They’ll either:

  • post it through your letterbox
  • hand it to you if you’re home
  • leave a card or post you a letter saying how you can get it (it will not say the package is your passport)

You can track your passport application.