How to apply
You can pay to get your passport sooner if you’ve not already applied and you think the non-urgent service will take too long.
You need to book a passport office appointment and pay online. You can book an appointment up to 3 weeks in advance.
If you need a passport to travel urgently for medical treatment or because a friend or family member is seriously ill or has died, call the ‘Passport Adviceline’ instead.
Check current coronavirus (COVID-19) travel advice before travelling. If your passport application is successful, it does not mean you’re currently allowed to travel.
Who can apply
You can apply for a faster service if both:
- you’re in the UK
- you need to renew or replace a passport, or get a first child passport
When you cannot apply
If you’re outside the UK, apply for an emergency travel document.
If you’re applying for a first adult passport, use the non-urgent service.
If you’ve already applied for a passport and have not received it yet, do not pay for an urgent passport - you will not get your passport sooner. You can track your passport application instead.
Ways to apply
There are 2 ways to apply for an urgent passport.
As part of the application, you’ll need to attend an appointment at your nearest passport office.
You get your new passport at your appointment. Appointments last up to 30 minutes.
You can use this service to renew an adult passport.
1 week Fast Track
Your new passport is delivered to your home within 1 week of your appointment. Someone might need to be in to sign for it.
You can use this service to:
- renew an adult or child passport
- change your name on your passport (for example with a marriage certificate or deed poll)
- make changes to your personal details on your passport (for example, your gender)
- replace a lost, stolen or damaged passport
- apply for a first child passport
If you cannot use the online service
You can book an appointment and pay over the phone if any of the following apply:
- you cannot use a computer, a smart phone or the internet
- you do not have a debit or credit card
Call the Passport Adviceline to book and pay.