Find out which UK benefits you might be able to get while you’re abroad and how to claim them if you’re eligible.

The UK has social security agreements with some countries that:

  • allow you to claim some benefits while you’re there
  • mean that your National Insurance contributions can count towards your eligibility for that country’s benefits

It’s easier to organise benefits before you leave.

The rules for claiming benefits will be different if you move to an EEA country or Switzerland from 1 January 2021. Read guidance on how your benefits may be affected for more information.

Start now