State Pension if you retire abroad

Skip to contents of guide

Report a change in your circumstances

Report changes (such as a change of address or bank details) to the International Pension Centre by phone or in writing - do not send changes by email.

If you’re asked to fill in a ‘life certificate’

You may get a ‘life certificate’ form from the Department for Work and Pensions to check you’re still eligible for the State Pension.

You need to get the form signed by a witness. The instructions are on the form.

Your witness does not have to live in the UK or have a passport from any specific country.

The people who can sign the form are the same as those who can ‘countersign’ a passport photo.

Your payments may be suspended if you do not send the form back.

Returning to the UK

Contact the Pension Service - you need your return date and contact details, both abroad and in the UK.

Call HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to say you’re returning to the UK.