Income Tax: general enquiries


Tell HMRC about changes that could affect your tax code

This service is part of the personal tax account, and you can use it to check:

  • your tax code
  • the information HMRC holds about your employment
  • an estimate of how much tax you’ll pay

Find out how to tell HMRC about a change to your personal details.

If HMRC needs to contact you about anything confidential they’ll reply by phone or post.


Speak to an adviser online about PAYE Income Tax queries.


You can use Twitter to get general help from HMRC. We cannot discuss specific cases or an individual’s tax affairs, so please do not give any personal details.

Start your tweet with @HMRCcustomers

Opening times:

Monday to Saturday: 8am to 8pm
Sunday: 9am to 5pm
Closed on bank holidays


Have your National Insurance number with you when you phone.

Call HMRC:

  • for help with questions about Income Tax and Class 4 National Insurance, including issues with:
  • to get help with identification and verification problems if you’re trying to register for a personal tax account
  • to make a backdated claim for Marriage Allowance if your spouse or civil partner has died
  • to apply for Marriage Allowance if you do not have a National Insurance number, because you do not intend to work or study in the UK

0300 200 3300

Outside UK:
+44 135 535 9022

Opening times:

Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm

Closed on weekends and bank holidays.

You can also find out information in:

Best time to call:

Phone lines are less busy before 10am, Monday to Friday.

When you call

These helplines use speech recognition software, so you’ll be asked why you are calling HMRC. Try to answer with short phrases and words, for example:

  • “change my address”
  • “question about my tax code”
  • “question about taxable expenses”

If you cannot use speech recognition software, find out how to get help from HMRC if you need extra support.

You can use Relay UK if you cannot hear or speak on the phone: dial 18001 then 0300 200 3300.

Get help from HMRC if you need extra support.

HMRC may ask if you want to add voice identification to your account. You can find out more in the Voice Identification Privacy Notice.

Find out about call charges


Write to HMRC at this address for all Income Tax queries except complaints.

You do not need to include a street name, city name or PO box when writing to this address.

Couriers should use a different address.

Pay As You Earn and Self Assessment
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom