Check how to claim a tax refund

You may be able to get a tax refund (rebate) if you’ve paid too much tax. Use this tool to find out what you need to do if you paid too much on:

  • pay from a job
  • job expenses such as working from home, fuel, work clothing or tools
  • a pension
  • a Self Assessment tax return
  • a redundancy payment
  • UK income if you live abroad
  • interest from savings or payment protection insurance (PPI)
  • income from a life or pension annuity
  • foreign income
  • UK income earned before leaving the UK

You cannot claim a refund using this tool.

If you’ve already claimed a tax refund, check when you can expect a reply.

This service is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

Start now