Use this service to estimate how much Income Tax you should have paid for a previous tax year.
There are different ways to:
- see how much Income Tax you paid last tax year (6 April 2015 to 5 April 2016)
- check your Income Tax payments for the current tax year (6 April 2016 to 5 April 2017)
If you’re self-employed, use the HMRC self-employed ready reckoner to budget for your tax bill.
You may be able to claim a refund if you’ve paid too much.
Start now on the HMRC website
Before you start
You need to be:
You need details of:
- your earnings, before and after tax - get this from your P60
- any savings - get this from your bank statements
- any Gift Aid donations you’ve made to charity
Who can’t use the tax checker
You can’t use the tax checker if you:
- are self-employed
- get taxable state benefits
- are entitled to claim Married Couple’s Allowance
- were born on or before 5 April 1948 and get the higher allowances
- have an income over £100,000
- have other taxable income, eg from dividends and trusts