Estimate your Income Tax for a previous tax year
Use this service to estimate how much Income Tax you should have paid for a previous tax year.
There are different ways to:
- see how much Income Tax you paid last tax year (6 April 2022 to 5 April 2023)
- check your Income Tax payments for the current tax year (6 April 2023 to 5 April 2024)
If you’re self-employed, use the HMRC self-employed ready reckoner to budget for your tax bill.
You may be able to claim a refund if you’ve paid too much.
Before you start
You need to be:
- born after 5 April 1938
- a basic or higher rate taxpayer earning under £100,000
- getting the Personal Allowance
You need details of:
- your earnings, before and after tax - get this from your P60
- any savings - get this from your bank statements or annual statement from your bank or building society
- any Gift Aid donations you’ve made to charity
Who cannot get an estimate online
You cannot get an estimate online if you:
- get taxable state benefits
- are entitled to claim Married Couple’s Allowance
- were born on or before 5 April 1938 and get the higher allowances
- have other taxable income, for example from dividends and trusts
- are a higher rate taxpayer and want to estimate your Gift Aid tax relief
You can check you’ve paid the right tax by contacting HMRC or by getting help from an accountant.