Estimate your Income Tax for a previous tax year

Use this service to estimate how much Income Tax you should have paid for a previous tax year.

There are different ways to:

If you’re self-employed, use the HMRC self-employed ready reckoner to budget for your tax bill.

You may be able to claim a refund if you’ve paid too much.

Start now

Before you start

You need to be:

  • born after 5 April 1938
  • a basic or higher rate taxpayer earning under £100,000
  • getting the Personal Allowance

You need details of:

  • your earnings, before and after tax - get this from your P60
  • any savings - get this from your bank statements or annual statement from your bank or building society
  • any Gift Aid donations you’ve made to charity

Who cannot get an estimate online

You cannot get an estimate online if you:

You can check you’ve paid the right tax by contacting HMRC or by getting help from an accountant.