Use this service to review and estimate your Income Tax payments for the current tax year (6 April 2016 to 5 April 2017).
- estimate how much tax you’ll pay over the whole tax year
- check your tax code and personal allowance
- change the estimates of how much you’ll get over the year from your sources of income, for example your job, pension or investments
You’ll need your National Insurance number the first time you sign in.
If you use the green ‘Start now’ button you’ll need a Government Gateway account for HMRC online services - you can set one up from the sign-in page.
You can also sign in using GOV.UK Verify. If you haven’t used GOV.UK Verify before, it takes about 15 minutes to sign up. You’ll then be able to use it with other government services.
When you can’t use this service
You can’t use this service if Self Assessment is the only way you pay Income Tax.
There are different services to:
- check how much Income Tax you paid last year
- estimate how much Income Tax you should have paid in any tax year
Personal tax account
Signing in to the ‘Check your Income Tax’ service activates your personal tax account. You can use this to check your HMRC records and manage your other details.