This service covers the current tax year (6 April 2017 to 5 April 2018). Use the service to:
- check your tax code and Personal Allowance
- tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) about changes that affect your tax code
- update your employer or pension provider details
- see an estimate of how much tax you’ll pay over the whole tax year
- change the estimates of how much income you’ll get over the year from your jobs or pensions
You’ll need your National Insurance number the first time you sign in.
Before you start
If you use the green ‘Start now’ button you’ll need a Government Gateway account for HMRC online services - you can set one up from the sign-in page.
You can also sign in using GOV.UK Verify. If you haven’t used GOV.UK Verify before, it takes about 15 minutes to sign up. You’ll then be able to use it with other government services.
When you can’t use this service
You can’t use this service if Self Assessment is the only way you pay Income Tax.
There are different ways to:
- estimate how much Income Tax you should pay this year without signing in
- check how much Income Tax you paid last year (6 April 2016 to 5 April 2017)
- estimate how much you should have paid in a previous year
Personal tax account
Signing in to the ‘Check your Income Tax’ service activates your personal tax account. You can use this to check your HMRC records and manage your other details.