Your tax code is used by your employer or pension provider to work out how much Income Tax to take from your pay or pension. HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will tell them which code to use.
This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).
Find your tax code
Use the check your Income Tax online service within your Personal Tax Account to find your tax code for the current year. You can also view your tax code for:
- a previous tax year
- the next tax year
You’ll be asked to sign in with Government Gateway or create an account if you do not already have one.
Once signed in, you can also see:
- if your tax code has changed
- how much tax you’re likely to pay
You can also find your tax code on your payslip or tax code letter from HMRC.
If you think your tax code is wrong
If you think your tax code is wrong, you can update your employment details using the check your Income Tax online service.
Why your tax code might change
HMRC may update your tax code if:
- you start to get income from an additional job or pension
- your employer tells HMRC you have started or stopped getting benefits from your job
- you get taxable state benefits
- you claim Marriage Allowance
- you claim expenses that you get tax relief on
You may also be put on an emergency tax code if you change jobs.