If you need to pay tax on your company car, you can use this service to:
- check your company car’s details
- tell HMRC about any changes to your car since 6 April
- update your fuel benefit, if your employer pays for fuel
- the car’s list price (including VAT and accessories) - you can get this from the manufacturer or your employer
- CO2 emissions information
- your National Insurance number the first time you sign in
Before you start
If you use the green ‘Start now’ button you’ll need a Government Gateway account for HMRC online services - you can set one up from the sign-in page.
You can also sign in using GOV.UK Verify. If you haven’t used GOV.UK Verify before, it takes about 10 minutes to sign up. You’ll then be able to use it with other government services.
When you can’t use this service
You can’t use the company car tax service if:
- you’re part of a car averaging or car sharing scheme
- your employer is managing benefits and expenses through the company payroll (known as ‘payrolling’)
Contact HMRC or your employer to update your company car details if you can’t do it online.
Personal tax account
Signing in to the company car tax service activates your personal tax account. You can use this to check your HMRC records and manage your other details.
Check your tax code
Updating your company car details may change your tax code. Check or update this using your personal tax account.